It’s one thing to write a good song, but a song needs a great arrangement to become a hit. Arrangement is an art that requires balancing elements in a track to create interest and movement. Here are a few ideas on how to create better arrangements in your dance tracks.
Some of the best electronic arrangements use contrast to maintain the listener’s interest. Skrillex and Diplo’s ‘Where Are U Now’ contrasts a minimal verse arrangement with a chorus that’s fuller and livelier. In the verse, Justin Bieber sings accompanied by a piano and soft synth line while the chorus has modern sounding percussion, a happening bass line and a mallet. Due to the song’s strong arrangement, this tune has quickly become a dance floor favorite.
If you have a great melodic idea to express in your track, or want to use instrumentation that’s not commonly used in dance music, go for it. It just has to be placed correctly in the track and be done well. Sander van Doorn & Firebeatz’s ‘Guitar Track’ (Original Mix) is a perfect example of this; the middle of the track breaks down in a beautiful guitar melody. The guitar is unexpected and offsets the hard synth sounds in the rest of the track. This is what makes the track original and stand out amongst the millions of EDM tunes.
If your song is starting to sound crowded, try muting tracks and find out which ones you can leave out. It’s more about how little you can make a song work with, rather than how many elements can be included in a track. If you have more than one instrument sitting in the same frequency spectrum, you may need to remove one or at the least EQ them differently so that the frequencies are balanced in the track.
Listen to arrangements of your favorite tracks and study them. This is the best way to learn about arranging. Listen to tracks in the genres you produce, but be open minded and listen to arrangements from other styles. You might hear a new arrangement idea or two that could be applied to your own songs.
5. Know Your Target Audience
You will need to know who your target audience is and arrange accordingly. If you are creating underground techno or house, longer club cuts will be the norm and there is more time to stretch out your arrangements. If you are crafting pop dance or pop music for the radio, a three to four minute mix will be necessary with shorter 8 to 16 bar intros and outros. It’s a good idea to create the radio version first and then create the club mix afterwards. This will help you to understand what the truly necessary parts of the song are and build from there.
6. Remember the DJs
If you’re producing dance music, it’s important that your tracks have intros and outros that DJs can mix. If you want DJs to be able to play your tracks, they are going to have to be structured so they fit into contemporary DJ sets. Historically this has meant percussive intros and outros but the digital DJing age may change the need for this.
7. Hook at the Beginning
If your song has a great hook, try putting it at the beginning of the song, before the verse. Although it’s not electronic music, Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit is a great example of this.
8. The Spice of Life
Vary the arrangements in your verses and chorus by using slightly different instrumentation, switching chords or adding a new riff. Although it’s certainly not typical to hear major changes in the arrangements of the chorus, subtle changes will keep your listeners intrigued and wondering what’s coming next. Surprise them.
The electronic media, now so integrated into our teens’ lives, has a profound influence on them. Parents cannot always control what their teens view. Since we cannot shelter them from all this exposure and information, we must teach them how to deal with the electronic revolution that is a part of their lives. We need to help them analyze and evaluate the messages they receive so that they can utilize mass media and the new technologies in positive ways.
What makes this so difficult for parents is how quickly new technology develops. It seems that every day a new means of communicating or accessing the internet become available. It can feel daunting to even try to keep up. And controlling your child’s media intake is often a thankless job. You are met with resistance at every turn, especially from your teen. Why even try? Because you will not be able to guide your child unless you expose yourself to the new technology, if not before them, then alongside them. We must tune in to their culture and to do so, we need to take time, gather information, and maintain strong resolve and determination. It is often not easy.
Parental involvement is a key to safe and balanced use. It is not what the media brings to the teen but what the teen brings to the media. Children whose parents are supportive, caring, involved, and set limits in a nurturing way are better able to handle the media. When young, children prefer to spend more time with parents who are willing to explore these technologies in a non-hurried and accepting way. When older, these teens will be more likely to listen to parents’ limits, concerns and opinions, and take those into account as they make decisions.
Steps to Follow in Making Decisions about the Media and Your Teen
- Postpone – the longer you can hold off exposing your child/teen to violent and sexually suggestive material, the better off he will be.
- Pick and Choose – evaluate each situation individually, for example each movie – some R-rated movies or video games are less offensive than others. Remember that teens are working on being independent, so give them freedom of choice whenever possible.
- Set limits – introduce a little structure with regard to media. Moderation is a good policy. Tell your teen that people should not live by TV/media alone – they also have homework, hobbies, sports, friends, family. Call for a quiet hour in the house with no electronic media. An effective strategy to avoid conflict with your teen is to work with him to decide what are appropriate choices. Together you can set some guidelines: when, how much, which shows, movies, CD’s, videos, computer games, and which sites and how much access to the internet.
- When possible, participate with your child – watch TV with her and listen to her music (especially if you think it may have some objectionable content), have him guide you through use of the internet, what sites he is visiting, and get to know who she is meeting online and visit with her.
- Discuss what you are both experiencing in relation to the program content of the media. Seize every opportunity to discuss what you see and hear with your child. Talk about violence, the bad language, the images you find offensive. Without being dogmatic or heavy-handed, voice your opinion so that your values are clear. Ask her what she thinks and provide her with time to respond; listen non-judgmentally to her thoughts and perspectives.
- Rent video games and sit with him while he plays. Check out magazines that review games and look at ratings on the package. Negotiate with your teen about which ones he can have.
- Check movie reviews and ratings.
- Give your teen some privacy and tell her you trust her to abide by the rules you have developed.
There are many benefits to television in our children’s lives. It can be a learning tool, helping teens gain an appreciation of the world and people, and enabling our teens to relate to their peers about popular programs, which addresses our teen’s need to feel a sense of identity and membership within their contemporary popular culture.
On the flip side, there are many negatives to television. They may watch too much TV, in which the depiction of life and people portrayed is unrealistic, women are exploited or shown with no depth or abilities, sex is ubiquitous and there are no consequences for it, smoking and drinking are portrayed as cool, and often times there are quick and superficial fixes to life’s problems.
How can you help your young teen to get the best that television has to offer while minimizing the harmful effects?
- Help him plan which shows he will watch – this can reinforce the idea that TV, like other activities, should have a purpose.
- When possible, watch with your teen – it can be an opportunity to discuss difficult topics. Give your opinion and allow her to have her say.
- Consider restricting TV to weekends – it is a way to teach that it is possible to relax and have fun without TV.
- Watch advertisements with your teen – help him learn how to judge the ads, hone media literacy skills and become a critical consumer.
As opposed to the 60’s and 70’s music message which was rebellion but with peace, equality, and ethnic equity, some of today’s messages seem to be rebellion with anger: the use of words whose purpose seems to be to shock or even horrify, advocacy of violence; racist themes, and being demeaning of women. The artists/rock stars are frequently negative role models.
Even with this reality, there are some benefits to the music of today’s teens: they may decide they want a career in music or they may develop a lifelong love and interest in music. So how can we help our teens to analyze the negative subliminal messages that are conveyed in the music they listen to?
- Listen to the music your teens listen to, watch music videos, comment about your reactions or concerns without being judgmental if he likes the music. Talk about any bad language and images you find offensive
- Set some rules about purchasing recordings or downloading music.
- Make a distinction with your teen between an entertainer’s music/art and his personal life. Help your teen to understand that he can appreciate the artist’s talent without idealizing or even endorsing all aspects of the person’s life, behavior, choices and apparent values. Use the opportunity to discuss your stand on alcohol, drugs, sex, violence, whatever comes up with an entertainer’s lifestyle.
- Music videos on their own do not lead to risky behavior. The variable for a healthy lifestyle for our teens seems to be how close the teens are to their families, not solely what they watch.
Computers and Safety in Cyberspace
As with all the new media, there are many plusses: computers have changed the way children and teens learn and has given them access to all the world’s information. Research has become more fun and exciting; they can connect with peers across the globe; and they can share ideas and find people with common interests.
But of course there are also the negatives, the biggest ones being the worry about who our teens are meeting in cyberspace and about what sites they are visiting. There is also the concern about how much time our teens are spending online, to the detriment of other aspects of their lives. There are concerns about social networking – it can consume our teens’ lives and be their primary way of connecting with other people rather than face-to-face interactions.
What can you do to keep your teens safe and help them find a balance in their lives with computer use and other activities?
- Remember: teens still need our guidance as they enter cyberspace, so we need to educate ourselves and stay involved with them.
- Enlist your teen as a tour guide as you surf the net with him – ask him to take you to the sites he visits.
- Set some ground rules for being online: which sites, for how long, when.
- Keep computers out of your children’s bedrooms. It is better to have them be in public spaces in your home.
- You need to establish rules for hand-held internet devices and cell phones. For example, they must be turned in to the parent at night or put on the charger in the kitchen.
- Suggest some sites he may want to visit.
- Get to know who he is meeting on-line. Visit with him. Make sure he knows not to give out personal information (name, address, phone)
- Give him some privacy and tell him you trust him to abide by your rules, then leave him alone. If you find he is not ready for such freedom, set stricter rules and keep a tighter rein until you feel he can manage the responsibility and can be trusted.
- Know how to use the parental control devices that come with on-line services.
- Prepare your child to deal with anyone online who makes her uncomfortable – “What you are telling me is against AOL’s rules and I am going to report you.” Let her know she should let you know if something frightening happens online.
What is mobile broadband wireless?
Mobile broadband wireless is a technology that provides mobileaccess to the Internet using laptops and smartphones via wireless cellularphone networks. The range of mobile broadband wireless is much greater than thelimited range of WiFi hotspots that have traditionally been used for wirelessInternet access.
This increased range enables users to roam without having to worryabout finding Internet access in a hotel, library or café, even allowingcontinuous access in moving vehicles such as automobiles and trains.
Additionally, cellular mobile broadband wireless signals aregenerally encrypted between your laptop or smartphone and the cellular systemto somewhat protect the contents of your transmissions, unlike many unencryptedWiFi signals in public spaces. Moreover, snooping attempts on cellular signalsare less likely because they generally require more elaborate equipment.
Mobile broadband wireless access is especially useful to those whoregularly rack up bills paying for hotel and coffee shop Internet access on theroad. Additionally, users of online software may consider mobile broadband accessas a back-up Internet connection in case the connection for the office goesdown temporarily.
Types of mobile broadband wirelessconnections
Cellular telephone network providers offer mobile broadbandwireless service. The newest batch of mobile broadband wireless networks arecalled “3G” (third generation) networks. Currently,EVDO is the most common type of 3G network in the United States, provided byVerizon and Sprint.
Another type of 3G network, HSDPA, is provided by AT&T and isused for the iPhone. T-Mobile also offers 3G HSDPA in some markets, but plansto expand its service nationwide in late 2008. Until then, T-Mobile’s 2G EDGEservice is widely available.
There are two primary ways to access 3G mobile broadband wirelessnetworks on your laptop: using PC Cards/AirCards or using acellphone/smartphone as a broadband modem.
PC cards/AirCards connect to a laptop via a PCMIA/PC card slot ora USB port, but several laptops already have them built in. Upon signing up fora mobile broadband wireless plan, wireless carriers often supply a card at areduced price, sometimes for free. Mobile broadband wireless PC Cards/AirCardscan typically cost from $50-$200 depending on the model and the wireless planyou choose. Laptops with built-in PC cards include the HP Compaq 6910p, theLenovo T500, the Dell Inspiron 1525, the Dell Latitude line, the Toshiba Portege R400 and the Sony Vaio TZ.
Connecting a cellphone or smartphone to a laptop is another way togain mobile broadband wireless access. This process is called “tethering.” Tethering may be available as afee-based option, added to your mobile plan; but some providers do not supportit. Even if you have a data plan that allows Internet access on yoursmartphone, many providers consider tethering a completely different type ofconnection. If tethering is not supported by your data plan, connecting to theInternet in this way can result in an extremely high mobile service bill. Be sureto check your data plan carefully.
3G-enabled smartphones should not need any additionalhardware—just activate your phone with an appropriate data plan.
Mobile broadband wireless data plans andprovider information
Mobile broadband wireless data plans come in a few varieties, such asdata-only plans for laptops, data-only plans for smartphones and combined voiceand data plans for accessing both data and voice services using a smartphone.Tethering may be another option that is usually available for an additionalfee. Currently, pricing can start at around $30 a month for various data-onlyplans and around $80 for combined voice and data plans.
Some plans specify “data caps” that restrict the amount of users’ datatraffic on the network per month. Certain providers automatically restrictaccess without the imposition of extra fees for going over the data plan cap,but others don’t, which could result in unexpectedly high mobile plan bills.
Roaming charges, which incur when using amobile voice or data device outside of standard coverage areas, such as useoverseas, can also result in unexpectedly high wireless plan bills. TheNew York Times reportedabout a man hit with $852 of roaming charges because hisiPhone automatically downloaded his e-mail messages while he was traveling inEurope—he didn’t know that he should have disabled the automatic downloadfeature before going abroad. In another story reported by the LATimes, a man was surprised by a $400 mobile bill. His plan offered freeroaming for calls received in Canada, but he did not realize that this did notcover the calls he made from Canada. The bottom line: be very careful whenchecking your mobile plan for details regarding roaming charges if you thinkyou will be traveling out of your standard network coverage area.
3G mobile wireless data plans are currently offered in the U.S. byVerizon/Alltel (EVDO), Sprint/Nextel (EVDO) and AT&T/Cingular (HSDPA)for both individuals and businesses. T-Mobile currently providesa 2G EDGE network nationwide, but plans to upgrade its system in fall 2008.
Benefits and drawbacks
Mobile broadband wireless affords users a much farther range ofmobility than landlines and WiFi Internet access—users are not constrained by alocal ethernet cable or by the typical WiFi hotspot range of 100-300 feet.Mobile broadband wireless service is more akin to cellphone service, coveringwide areas and affording non-interrupted service where coverage is adequate,including in moving vehicles. However, keep roaming charges in mind whentraveling across borders.
A potential drawback to 3G mobile broadband wireless is thatmaximum access speeds are several times slower than themaximum speeds offered by WiFi and landlines.
With plans starting at around $30 a month for data-only serviceand with PC Cards available for free or at a discount when you sign up, amobile broadband wireless data plan may start to pay for itself. In some cases,the monthly cost may be less than the cost of purchasing Internet connectionsat hotels and cafes a few times a month. Possible productivity gains from theconvenience of 24/7 Internet access without scrambling to find an Ethernethookup or a WiFi hotspot can also enter into the value equation. A mobilebroadband wireless connection may also function as a backup Internet connection in case your main connection fails,providing further value to your practice.
If you are Mac users and are looking for easy way to retrieve the deleted files from your Mac or other storage devices that you mount to your Mac, Disk Drill Media Recovery is what you need for its easy of use. Though, Disk Drill will do a lot of works as it applies various methods to recover your data, when it comes to you, you simply need to hit recover button after the deleted data is scanned.
Have important data, nevertheless, you can’t read it, the probability is that it because of lost partition. A condition where your data actually is there in your storage device, however, your Mac fails to render your data. Disk Drill can solve the problem for you, to make the lost data within your reach one more time and ready to use.
Able to read different systems that include FAT32, HFS+, HFS, and more, you find this data recovery application really useful. You also can use Disk Drill to read formatted disk images. Mac users who want to update the data recovery app, the updated version is available. If you are curios about kind of data that can be recovered, Disk Drill able to recover any data formats within minutes.
Our future has many surprises for us this statement is suitable for many things, comparing to olden days to now we can able to see many changes that took place around us. Technology is the major reason for the large changes, many old things replaced with the new ones. All the modern things are coming with the better features and using it will be more comfortable than old ones. Even vapor replace the old smoking method, it is the term to refer the modern electronic instrument that has been invented quite recently to smoke. The amount of harmful chemicals is seen less amount on it and it does not cause any serious effects like that old one.
This one will not create you more harm
This one is perfectly suitable for those who find difficulty to quit smoking and it easy to use, suitable for adults and for who are in nineteen years of age. The aspire plato canada is a kit that fulfill your wish anyone can handle, it is attracted all set of smokers you can be a beginner or advanced vapers surly this one will be as per your taste. You can able to carry it easily and it fits perfectly into your pockets and in hands. This comes in different colours and in shapes many found it so much attractive and will be stylish to use it. This device works perfectly and advanced features on it control the temperatures and other stuff perfectly.
It is an only kit that consists of fifty watt of power and easily you can able to remove and fix the damaged parts. People can use it through mouth or lungs as per their comfort and wish, we can able to use both the coils like plato coils or nautilus coils. Aspire allows you to use different sizes of coils without much difficulty. If you are going to use it mouth to lung then you should keep nautilus coil head, the specially designed tank system allows you to feel it deeply in a pleasant way. This does not give you any irritation or hard feels while you are using it. Easily we can able to open the tank top with the help of coin or by tool. Once you are successful in removing take the tip or a coil head, it has capacity to hold 5.6 ml electronic liquids, even once it got over you can replace it easily.
If you are interested to use it directly in lungs the same procedures will takes even here but the capacity to hold the e-liquid is just 4.6 ml comparing to mouth to lung this one is little lower in storage capacity. While using this method you should use sub ohm coils for more safety. Price of it surly will be easily affordable by many of you and it is about health so do not take chances. Not even a single percentage of toxins are seen here so you can have pleasure without any side effects
There is a point at which the do-it-yourself individual needs to call for professional help, especially if he or she needs assistance with electrical service. There are electrical situations that may even go beyond the skills of those who work in the residential field. This is especially true when it comes to the workplace, the core of your business.
To ensure that the work is done in a safe and reliable fashion, it is always wise to enlist the aid of an electrician that specialises in industrial service. This expert will provide top-level service in wiring, switches, lighting, lighting design, appliance testing, and system testing. In addition, some of the leaders in the field also work with commercial air conditioning and assist with data communication installation.
Small Repair or Large Installation
An industrial electrician and the company behind the electrician are also in a position to assist with service breakdown and faults in the all-important workplace service. This service may be essential with problems in a single location within the business, or with problems that affect the overall operation. If new or upgraded industrial service is in order, the specialist will be available to help with a small installation or with complete worksite service planning.
The next step in services from this professional may be the use of what some have described as non-destructive testing. As the name implies, this process can analyse a system and uncover issues that may be hindering efficient service or preventing service altogether. The key is that the workplace will not be physically disrupted as the tests are conducted. This is quite important in such settings as medical buildings, government installations and manufacturing plants, to name just a few.
Testing methods include infrared imaging or thermography, ultrasonic testing, microwave testing, and emergency light testing. The technician scans an object or area to determine if there are temperatures above the normal range. This may lead to repair or restoration at the request of the property owner, or the situation may be monitored to determine what steps should be taken. Detailed reports and consultation are part of this complete process, as well.
High Standards, Of Course
When the time comes for these specialised services, contact an industrial electrician in Perth for the experienced, professional help you need. It is a safe bet that this supplier will be committed to the highest standards in the industry, in terms of occupational safety and health. Holding a certificate that shows this commitment is one element of the professionalism you will find with these specialists.
These experts have focused on the industrial sector for many years, making changes when necessary and keeping up with the latest technology and installation methods. After all, providing a product or service is crucial in such fields as healthcare, mining, manufacturing and hospitality. They now offer the latest in testing processes with infrared thermography, to save time and money, of course, but also to protect the health and safety of employees and the public. That fact alone is sufficient to show a commitment to the field of industrial electricity. Contact your industrial specialist for expert assistance.
Many people work from home at least one day per week. Working from home saves energy and time by cutting out the commute, but it may increase your home energy bills unless you use energy-saving office equipment.
ENERGY STAR-labeled office equipment is widely available. It can provide dramatic energy savings—as much as 75% savings for some products. Overall, ENERGY STAR-labeled office products use about half the electricity of standard equipment. Find ENERGY STAR products and standards.
Home Office Tips
- Selecting energy-efficient office equipment and turning off machines when they are not in use can result in significant energy savings.
- ENERGY STAR-labeled computers use 30%-65% less energy than computers without this designation, depending on usage.
- Spending a large portion of time in low-power mode not only saves energy but helps equip-ment run cooler and last longer.
- Putting your laptop AC adapter on a power strip that can be turned off (or will turn off automatically) can maximize savings; the transformer in the AC adapter draws power con-tinuously, even when the laptop is not plugged into the adapter.
- Using the power management settings on computers and monitors can cause significant savings.
- It is a common misperception that screen savers reduce a monitor’s energy use. Use automatic switching to sleep mode or simply turn it off.
- Another misperception, carried over from the days of older mainframe computers, is that equipment lasts longer if it is never turned off.
Long-Term Savings Tip
Consider buying a laptop for your next computer upgrade; laptops use much less energy than desktop computers.
Home Electronics Tips
- Look for energy-saving ENERGY STAR home electronics.
- Unplug appliances, or use a power strip and use the switch on the power strip to cut all power to the appliance, to avoid “vampire” loads. Many appliances continue to draw a small amount of power when they are switched off. These vampire loads occur in most appliances that use electricity, such as DVD players, TVs, stereos, computers, and kitchen appliances. Unplug battery chargers when the batteries are fully charged or the chargers are not in use.
- Use rechargeable batteries for products like cordless phones and digital cameras. Studies have shown they are more cost effective than disposable batteries. If you must use disposables, check with your trash removal company about safe disposal options.
Protect yourself from identity thieves and other online retail scams
Most of us couldn’t do without the convenience of online shopping. Whether it means getting the best price on the latest video game or purchasing the perfect pair of shoes, online shopping gives us access to products, services, and special deals that might be unavailable to us otherwise.
However, online shopping has its risks. The popularity—and profitability—of online retail has resulted in unscrupulous people looking to take advantage of unwary shoppers. Their tactics may include:
- Deception. In the virtual world, it can be hard to distinguish reputable retailers from criminals, as just about anyone can set up fraudulent a web site that appears to be a legitimate business.
- Invasion. You may inadvertently download spyware on your computer that allows access to your personal information and passwords, and sophisticated hackers can breach online business databases to harvest customer payment information.
With risks that differ from walk-in stores, online shopping requires special precautions. To protect yourself and your information, read on for 9 steps to take before you plug in your credit card number and click “Buy.”
1. Use a good anti-malware program
This may sound obvious, but many people ignore the advice to install anti-malware software. It is critical that online shoppers secure their PC from viruses and other attacks.
To ensure that your security program’s protection stays current, keep its virus and malware signatures up-to-date. Fortunately, most programs can automatically update these signatures, so be sure the automatic updating feature is enabled in your software.
Further, because viruses can swiftly change and mutate, use a program designed to detect newly created or mutated threats even before their signature is part of the automatic updates. iolo’s System Shield® AntiVirus & AntiSpyware uses Sentient Technology, a heuristic feature that adapts to yet unclassified attacks based on behavioral analysis.
2. Optimize your PC’s security settings
In addition to maintaining and updating your antivirus and antispyware protection, make sure your PC’s security settings are optimized. Many malicious programs are explicitly designed to take advantage of security vulnerabilities in operating systems and web browsers. Two simple ways to protect yourself:
- Keep your browser and operating system up-to-date: take the time to install those free updates and security patches when they’re released. Here too, you may want to enable your settings so that these updates are installed automatically.
- Run System Mechanic’s Security Optimizer, which automatically finds and repairs vulnerabilities and loopholes that may exist in your operating system and web browser.
3. Share payment information only with known or reputable vendors
The single best thing you can to do protect yourself is to be careful about who you’re giving your payment details to. If you’re not entirely sure whether the retailer you’re visiting is reliable, do some research to verify its authenticity and security.
Or use a third-party payment processor instead of giving your payment information directly to the online store. Most accept payment from trusted third-party processors, such as PayPal or Google Checkout. This limits the risk of your payment details getting into the wrong hands, because it is ultimately handled by fewer online entities.
4. Use a credit card instead of a debit card
Credit cards can be the safer choice for online shopping—if someone manages to intercept your financial information online, they can do less damage and you have more recourse than if you’d used a debit card. This is for two reasons:
- Credit cards have spending limits, while debit cards—which are directly linked to your bank account—do not.
- You can dispute fraudulent charges made to a credit card without being out-of-pocket the amount in dispute, but money withdrawn directly from your checking account by a debit card is much more difficult to recover.
Consider using a credit card with a low credit limit specifically for your online purchases. And some banks now offer “one-time use” or “virtual” credit cards that are designed specifically for online shopping—these are good only for one transaction from a specific vendor.
5. Make sure the order checkout area is encrypted
Before you purchase anything from a web site, verify that the vendor has encrypted its payment form. Many sites use SSL (secure sockets layer) technology to encrypt information flowing between your computer and the store’s server; this is typically indicated with a padlock icon and a web site address that begins with “https:” instead of “http:”.
6. Print or save a copy of your orders
It’s always a good idea to keep documentation of your online purchases. Most retailers will send you an email or refer you to a web page with a confirmation of your purchase; this page should include a purchase receipt and a confirmation number. Print or save the confirmation and keep it until you receive your product.
7. Use strong passwords
Often, one of the most critical security steps is the one we give the least attention to—our passwords. Passwords can be the best security defenses we have, but if they’re not created properly, a hacker can easily guess them. For any online shopping accounts you have, be sure to create good passwords. Read tips on how to create passwords you can remember but others can’t guess.
8. Check your statements often
To ensure that no unknown or fraudulent charges have been posted to your accounts, check your statements every month. If you see a charge that looks out of the ordinary, report it to your credit card company or financial institution immediately.
9. Remember: If it looks too good to be true…
The old-fashioned shopper’s rule of thumb “buyer beware” still applies to online purchases. If you’re being offered a top-of-the-line item for an unbelievably rock-bottom price, it may really be too good to be true. Do additional research about the vendor before buying. At very least, check for a phone number and street or mailing address so that if there are any problems with your order, you have someone to contact.
Recently my company D-link Ethernet broadband router broke down and I can’t access the internet. The problem was no power but there was 5 volts output from the power adapter, so this proof that the router itself not working. As usual we as electronic repairer do not buy any new equipment unless we have inspected the equipment our self. If we found that the equipment is beyond repair such as lightning strike or no spare parts then only we give up and buy a new unit.
Upon opening up the cover I didn’t see any signs of lightning strike, burn components or even bulged capacitors. The main board looks perfectly okay. Now the next step that I took was to plug in the 5 volt supply voltage to the input jack and analyze why the LED’s do not lit. Surprisingly the moment 5 volts supply was plugged it in, the 5 volts immediately dropped to 0 volts. I thought it could be the regulation problem in the power adapter so I took out a 12 volt automobile light bulb from my toolbox and connect it to the output jack. The bulb lit and when checks with a digital meter it showed exactly 5 volts! This again proven that the power adapter is working perfectly fine.
My concentration now was in the main board because the power adapter was not the cause of no power in the router. Since the main board was pulling down the power supply voltage, I presumed that there must be something that have direct short between the supply line and ground. Using my analog meter set to X 1 ohm, I placed the red probe to ground and the black probe to the supply line and shifted the probes again, I could clearly noticed that the analog meter pointer both the reading points to very low ohm (zero ohms indicated short circuit).
Because of so many components that have connection with the supply lines, I really do not know as which one is the culprit. Shorted IC’s, capacitors, diodes, zener diodes, transistor and etc can cause the supply line to have direct connection with the ground. Do not worry as there is an easy way to isolate this type of problem. Remember the newsletter repair article mentioned about how to detect short circuit with the help of a regulated power supply? Yes, I’m going to use it to locate the cause of the short circuit too. First connect the negative from the regulated power supply to the main board ground and the positive to the supply line of the main board. Now slowly increase the voltage of the regulated power supply by turning the variable resistor. If there is a short circuit present, the ampere or current drawn would be great and you could see it from the regulated power supply LCD panel.
In my case, yes the current drawn is proportional to the voltage increment. The higher the voltage the higher the current drawn and it is abnormal. Even before the voltage reached 2 volts (suppose it should be tune to 5 volt), the current already increased to few amps! I stopped at 2 volts and begin to inspect the main board to see if there is any sign of warm components. If you could locate one then that is the shorted component that pulled down the 5 volt supply voltage.
Usually I would suspect IC’s first but all the IC’s looks cool only. Then I began to touch on other components. While my finger browsing the supply input area I found that the circuit board was extremely hot. The hot area only consists of electrolytic capacitor, a zener diode and few other components. I switched off the regulated power supply and checked one by one of the components in that area. Electrolytic capacitor checked to be good and the real caused of the problem was the zener diode. The zener diode had developed a short circuit. The marking of the zener diode was 5V6 which means 5.6 volt. After replaced the zener diode and checked with analog meter again, there were no more short circuits and the router’s power came back once the power adapter jack was plugged in.
In this article, the method that I have shown you above can be apply to any kind of electronic boards that have short circuit between the supply line and the ground. You just have to be creative in electronic troubleshooting and who knows one day you may end up of discovering some new methods in solving electronic problems fast, easy and eventually save your precious repair time.
Attending electronics repair course provided by your local electronic training institutions is a good move to increase your knowledge in electronics. We cannot limit ourselves in just attending a single subject such as basic electronic troubleshooting and repair.
There are many subjects about electronics especially nowadays where many engineering or technical college offers courses on PIC microcontroller. Robotics and household equipments such as air condition, washing machine, TV, monitor and testing equipments are using microcontroller.
You can take up courses like programmable logic controller (PLC), Industrial Automation Electronic, Microcomputer troubleshooting, electronic control systems, networking, computer repair, printer, laptop, monitor, appliance, motherboard, TV, cell phone and etc. You have the choice to attend full time or part time.
Nowadays there are many online home study courses too. These specialize courses duration usually are between 3-6 months. Competition is so great and you need more than one skill to face the challenge. I have a friend who is working in oversea told me that if you say you are good in electronic repair, 100,000 peoples are also good in this field so what makes the employers want to hire you as a technician or engineer. The answer is multitasking, that’s mean besides doing component level or circuit board repair work you have to be good in other area such as networking, computer programming and etc. You will be glad if you have attended those courses.
I once attended a seminar where the speaker mentioned about company resizing, company restructuring, and retrenchment, lay down workers, and reorganize company, in other words the speaker said you are fired! We have to fully equip ourselves and be ready to face whatever challenge that is coming on our way. I had some repair friends who never attend any electronic repair courses before and they are venturing into the repair business.
Although they can do the repair work, not all equipment can be repaired. This is due to their limitation in understanding electronic. Their jobs are mainly replacing components rather than doing voltage troubleshooting, using scope and etc. I always encourage them to take up at least a basic electronic course to further their knowledge and hope to bring in more income for them. I even encourage them to surf the internet to gain more electronic repair knowledge.
As for me, besides repairing monitors and conduct classes on electronic repair, I took up internet marketing as another field for me to venture in. Though my passion is in electronic repair, I begin to like internet marketing because it can generate a passive income for me. I can see the potential in it because you can market to the whole world and make money while you are sleeping.
Throughout the few years I had learned about building websites (electronicrepairguide.com was built by me). Building website is not hard, as long as you must have the passion of doing it. I do not know about your passion, but additional knowledge whether in electronics repair or non-electronics is a great advantage for you and learning has no end. Who knows one day I might end up taking robotics designing and repair course.
I have read this quote from a bulletin and would like to share it with you.
“Destiny is not a matter of chance,
it is a matter of choice.
It is not a thing to be waited for;
it is a thing to be achieved.
A good quote from Benjamin Franklin “If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it away from him. An investment of knowledge always pays the best interest”.
If you already owned electronic repair shop and wish to expand your business to become an Authorized Service Center for certain companies, then you may have to consider some changes in your electronic repair shop. If you could secure a deal as one of the authorized service center, your company are sure to have plenty of work to do and a secure future.
Whatever new model of equipment that comes to your place for repair, you will be provided parts and schematic diagram too. You can take this opportunity to learn the new circuit or designed for the particular equipment. In other words, you are getting the most up-to-date information for the equipment you are contract with.
Once you got hold of the equipment repair secrets, you can then apply the knowledge on other type of equipment that comes across your repair bench. Just take this scenario for example, if you are the authorized service center for a company that deals with LCD Monitor, whatever knowledge you learn from the Monitor LCD repair can be apply to LCD TV repair. This will truly widen your knowledge and you are not bound for LCD monitor repair only.
Setting up your electronic repair shop to become an authorized service centre is not an easy task. Your electronic repair shops needs to meet the company or manufacturers’ criteria or requirement first before they can appoint your repair company as an Authorized Service Center.
They must set some guidelines because your company represents their image. If there is any part in your company that makes the customers not happy, their good image or brand name may be tarnished as well.
Below are some of the requirements that you must have in order to successfully secure the deal to become an authorized service provider.
- Your company good track record – Manufacturers expect electronic repair shop to have a good track record in the trade and have been around for some time. If your company is very new then chances for you to get appointed would be very slim.
- A Good Reception Area – A good reception area, clean and tidy workshop will reflect on them as well. First impression count a lot. Remember, your company represents their image also.
- Easy Accessibility – If your place is near and easy to access, the manufacturers can deliver their products to you for repair. It saves them lots of cost and time too. However, not every manufacturer provides the transportation for you. If you are willing to take the first move and volunteer your company to collect those repair items from their place, you may get some credits from it.
- Large Space – Your place must have enough space to store their product. You will need lots of built in racks to store the incoming and outgoing items. A light industrial area will be fine for them.
- Tight Security – An alarm system is a must, doors and windows must be protected so they are difficult to force in. Any break in will cause you to lose the authorize service center dealer ship.
Adequate Tools and Test Equipment – The variety of electronic repair tools and test equipment available in your workshop will be taken into consideration. Multimeters, oscilloscope, high end testing equipment such as Huntron tracker, frequency counter, SMD rework station will add to your company credibility. The repair bench or workshop room should be of decent size and comes with bright lighting.
- Enough Employees – More employees is required to cope up with the work of repair. Prolong or continuous delay of repair work will make the manufacturers to reconsider of changing to another electronic repair shop.
Operation of Authorized Service Center needs total dedication, speed and responsibility, but it will bring you to meet with lots of people, some of who can be quite influential. Whenever these people need to repair their equipment, they will think of your company first. After reading this article, who knows you may turn your electronic repair shop into a well established authorized service center in the future.
Before Buying an Air Conditioner
Once you are determined and ready with your home appliance budget, decide few things that are of utmost importance and can help you garner maximum benefit from the purchased commodity.
Dimensions Of the Room
One of the obvious factors that you must have already thought is the location of the air conditioner. Generally, it may be the bedroom, drawing room or the study room of your kids. Wherever you plan to install it, remember to carefully analyze the measurements of the room. Depending on the area, you can decide the variant that you wish to buy. For rooms with a smaller area, a small or medium size air conditioner would suffice, but if the room is too large then a smaller one won’t be able to provide the required cooling or it may take longer than usual to cool. For example, if the area to be cooled is nearly 250 to 300 square feet, then an air conditioner of capacity 7,000 btu per hour is needed. You can ask the dealer and even check the energy capacity on your own (mentioned in manuals/hand books). Here, don’t get a wrong assumption that bigger the conditioner, better will be its performance. An air conditioner of higher energy specification will consume more electrical energy and the components may wear off faster. But, keep it as a thumb rule to match the dimensions of the room. Besides this, also ponder over the points:
Number of windows that are in the room
Number of people staying in the room
Height of the ceiling
Other possible openings that you may have in the room, like ventilators
Decide the Exact Place for Installation
Now, you must have a rough idea of the room and the capacity. Start zeroing in on the spot, where you will install the air conditioner. Normally they are installed on windows of the rooms. Measure the exact size of the window. Choose a window that helps the air conditioner to face the side of your bed or close to your bed. If it is not possible to decide a perfect position, you can try changing the position of your beds, tables and make adjustments.
Power Supply Socket
You must be aware that an air conditioner will require an electrical unit that supports its working and can bear the electrical load of the huge alternating current that electrical systems like air conditioners draw. It’s imperative that the plug unit in your wall is capable of handling the operations. If not, then ask your local electrician to install a plug and socket unit that will work for higher voltage rating like 230 volt AC circuit.
Though it’s not at all needed to dive into the plethora of engineering aspects of the construction of the air conditioner, it is not a bad idea to be aware of some technical terms that you can check out, when you go for the buy. Check out the BTU rating. The BTU is nothing, but the British Thermal Unit for the measurement of the cooling capacity energy of the air conditioner. It is an internationally accepted unit of energy. When talked in the terminology of air conditioners, you can say that BTU measures the amount of heat it can remove from the room. The size, weight, and cost all the three increase with the increase in the BTU ratings. The usual BTU ratings are somewhere between 5000 to 24000 BTU. Always check the compatibility of the room size and the BTU rating, so that you will be able to get maximized performance from your purchase.
Another factor, that you may want to know is the EER rating. EER rating is the energy efficiency ratio, that is calculated by dividing the BTU value with the number of watts. The higher a EER value, better the air conditioner is. EER value generally ranges between 8 to 11.5 and if you live in a very hot place, then the value has to be above 10. However, higher the EER value, more expensive it is. Besides these, check out the thermostat, filters, fan and chassis, so that you can be sure that the air conditioner will work efficiently and provide you great service.
There are few other factors that can help you in choosing your air conditioner. Weight is one such factor. Normally, they weight about 100 pounds, so take some help for installation. For the installation purpose, the companies help you with experts, so that your air conditioner can be properly installed. If you think you cannot do it yourself, then please take professional help.
Three’s a crowd, so what can nurses do when they find a computer alongside their patients in the exam room? Are communication and patient care doomed to suffer when electronic health records (EHRs) replace paper charts? Not necessarily.
“For our inpatient nurses, using electronic medical records is a very new concept,” says Mary Jo Williams, RN, regional director of Kaiser Permanente Medical Group (Northern California) Nursing and Clinical Practice. Kaiser Permanente (KP), the nation’s largest nonprofit healthcare system, is in the midst of a massive, multiyear initiative to establish EHRs for all of its 8.5 million members.
So far, at least 70 percent of KP members have at least some of their records on the system; all members’ records will be fully on board by 2008. EHRs are winding their way through every part of the KP health system — all 32 hospitals and medical centers as well as more than 430 medical offices. To help orient nurses in the use of EHRs, KP is providing both extensive classroom instruction and on-the-job practice.
Practice Makes Perfect
With any new system, it’s important to become as proficient as possible before going live with patients. For example, users of EHRs that require typing could bone up on weak keyboarding skills. Since most EHRs require users to complete templates, it’s best to familiarize yourself with the format beforehand so you can focus on the patient, not the screen.
“But the biggest challenge for nurses is often not learning the new computer application, but rather its integration into their workflow,” says Judy Murphy, RN, a fellow in both the American College of Medical Informatics and the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. At Milwaukee-based Aurora Health Care, Murphy led the EHR implementation, which involved bringing computers to patient rooms and nursing stations in all 14 Aurora hospitals.
Since many Aurora facilities rely on portable computers, nurses now wheel a computer around on a cart. They build their assignment sheet differently and have learned to chart differently, but their job of providing patient care remains unchanged, Murphy says.
How can nurses maintain patient-centered care while using EHRs? Follow these tips:
- Begin by Establishing Rapport with the Patient: “Instead of walking right to the computer when entering an exam room, greet the patient and listen to their concerns,” suggests Sara Kooienga, FNP, assistant professor in the advanced nursing program at Oregon Health & Science University. Kooienga, who researched exam room communication and EHRs when she was with the Providence Health System, suggests it may help to review notes from the previous visit before you enter the room.
- Maintain Eye Contact: Try never to turn your back on a patient. That’s easier when the computer is on a cart, on a properly angled counter or attached to an arm. Maintaining eye contact is especially important when discussing sensitive issues.
- Get the Patient’s Approval: Before you start entering data, explain what you’re doing and ask for the patient’s permission, just as you would do before touching a patient for a physical exam, suggests Williams. Ask, “Do you mind if I enter some of this data while I’m talking with you?”
- Explain Yourself: Don’t sit silently staring at the monitor, scrolling through screens or endlessly clicking. Tell your patients what you’re doing while you’re doing it, suggests Kooienga. Try to keep talking as you work.
- Involve the Patient: Chart in the exam room if you can involve the patient in some way, says Williams. Otherwise, you might be better off jotting down notes while you’re with the patient and entering the data afterward.
- Tap the Teaching Potential: EHRs can display patient data in a way that has great visual impact, such as charts and graphs that show trends in blood pressure for heart patients or insulin levels for diabetics.